Web designing is a leading skill in the field of IT. In the digital market, there is a high demand for web design experts. A great web design is the backbone of any online brand or company.
What is Web Design?
In simple words, web design can be understood as the general appearance of an overall website. From arranging the content to its graphical representation, all the elements needed to complete the desired look for a website constitutes a web design. From creating an idea for the web layout, use of colors, fonts, and other graphics, integration of all the mentioned elements, and its execution are basically what web designers do.
Web designs greatly depend on user experiences. A great website should be aesthetically pleasing, the content structured and written should easily comprehensible, and encourages the user to stay on your website for a longer time.
Web designing started as working on a website’s functionality, however, it got its roots in designing web and mobile apps and user interfaces.
Types of Web Design
When the question arises of what is web design? A similar question goes hand in hand regarding its types also. Two types of web designs are as follows:
Adaptive Web Designs: In adaptive web designs, the organization of content is fixed which means that the layout is designed according to different screen sizes.
Responsive Web Designs: In responsive web designs, the layout dynamically changes itself according to the screen size of the device used.
Various Elements of Web Design
There are two types of web design elements i.e., visual elements and functional elements.
- Web Content: The written content on your website plays an important role in making your website user-friendly and not just the comprehension of the content but its organization and overall layout also matter.
- Font: In user-friendly websites, fonts play a major role. The font of your design would be in coherence with your color scheme, layout, and graphics on your website. If you have a corporate website, you might use a formal font, or if you have a fun-themed website, you may choose a unique and informal font.
- Color Scheme: The color scheme of your website sets the tone of your website. Different colors have different meanings. You can select a color scheme that reflects the vision of your company.
- Layout: How you arrange your overall web page is important. The content should be aligned with the images so it looks organized and professional. Also, you do not want to stuff your web pages with a lot of information. A subtle and balanced layout seems attractive as well as professional.
- Spacing: Spacing plays an important role in the navigation of the website. Spacing is also crucial to avoid over-stuffing of content on your web page. Modern web designs prefer whitespaces more.
- Images and Videos: You can add images and videos to your website as it aesthetically complements the overall web design.
- Navigation: The navigation of your website defines the user experience. Functional navigation helps your first-time user to explore your website easily and understand what your site has to offer.
- User Interactions: The interaction with your website should be in control of the user and to make sure of that avoid unnecessary pop-ups, scroll-jacking, and never have your audios or videos on autoplay.
This was a quick and brief detail on what is web design? It will help you if you are a newbie in the field!
Want to design your website? Well, it could be quite difficult if you don’t know the right tools and techniques for it. Your layout, positioning, fonts, colors, and platform matters a lot. Whether it is for your business or blog, the audience wants something user-friendly and attractive. Moreover, if your navigation is bad, they will leave your site. So, the question is how to design a website?
You do not have to be a web designer for it as here is a quick guide for you. Everything you want to know about web design trends, strategy, platform, and branding is as follows.
How to design a website – Check out these simple and important steps:
1. Know your site strategy and goal:
Don’t get started on the website if you do not know about the goal of it. Like, start with the industry that which would it be. There are so many options like travel, auto, health, food, fashion, etc. It will help you to make a goal that you want to accomplish through your website.
2. Search the new web trends:
With digitalization, there have been improvements in web designs as well that have been attracting audiences more than ever. Do you know around 48% consider that the most important factor of your website is design? Start researching your competitors and see what they are offering and how you can be better than them.
3. Choose your platform:
Choosing a platform is very important as you know so many options. There is Wix, Squarespace, Weebly, Shopify, BigCommerce, and so many more. But the main and popular choice especially for beginners has always been WordPress. It is an easy and quite user-friendly platform that makes everything easier for you.
4. Select your theme:
It is the most important part of how to design a website. There are so many options when it comes to themes for all industries. Even if you want to create a blog, there are user-friendly and modern choices now. You can search online and found premium themes that you can purchase.
5. Think about your branding:
Do you that color can boost your branding to 80%? Your branding says more than you do with all your videos and ads. The colors, fonts, and images you are using coveys a message to people. So, make sure that you are putting a lot of thought into when designing your branding.
6. Adding and optimizing your content:
If you are using a paid theme, there will be so many sections given to you for adding content. Make sure to use them and if you think you need a minimal design make sure to delete some sections. Now the content you are using should be SEO optimized and have the keywords related to the industry you are making your website. It includes the content, metadata, image alt text, and internal links.
7. Mobile responsiveness:
When you are making your website, the audience is not just the people browsing on their laptops. It includes the mobile using the audience as well. So, you need to make sure that the website is mobile-friendly as well. Check and correct the mistakes for mobile view and then publish your site. There are more people using smartphones than laptops for buying and reading.
8. Publish your site:
In our list of how to design a website, the last step is publishing. When you have checked everything and are now quite sure then publish your website. Evaluate its performance and if needed make sure to optimize it.